Friday, July 7, 2017

Persons Unknown by Susie Steiner

When I reviewed the first book in the Manon Bradshaw series I said I couldn’t wait to see where Susie Steiner takes Manon next. Little did I expect it to be back to Cambrisdgeshire with not only young Fly in tow but also a bun in the oven. Turns out she wanted a fresh start for Fly, and hoped that by taking him out of the city he would not go down a bad path. Things weren’t going so well for them though, and then 12 year old Fly gets arrested for the murder of her sister’s son’s father. Of course, he didn’t do it, and this novel follows Manon as she waddles through the secret investigation she undertakes to clear her adopted son’s name.

Look, this is not a page-turning, action packed thriller. Much like Missing, Presumed, it’s a slow-burn with lots of well-developed characters and often funny twists and turns. A new character, Birdie, is down-right hilarious, and we get a close peek into the machinations of her mind. Schlumpy Davy is back too, and while it takes a while to get there, the final outcome is downright shocking. And once again I love how this book feels steeped in the UK, both in its tone and language. I don’t know if Manon will come out for round three, or what possible/impossible circumstances Steiner can put her in next time, but I’ll be eagerly awaiting it if she does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment